Today's News Headlines June 08, 17
• RBI Keeps the Repo Rate Unchanged at 6.25%. Repo rate is the rate at which the central bank of a country (Reserve Bank of India in case of India) lends money to commercial banks in the event of any shortfall of funds. Repo rate is used by monetary authorities to control inflation.
• India's Presidential Election 2017 to be held on 17 July. The President of India is elected by an Electoral College comprising elected members of Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha and state legislative assemblies.
• The world's first hybrid "aeroboat" capable of travelling on land, water, snow and sand that has been built by an Indo-Russian joint venture was unveiled in Moscow on Tuesday at a start-ups event organised by Russia's state-run Skolkovo Foundation.
• Hoshiar Singh Appointed as Chief of Copyrights office. The Copyrights Office was established under Section 9 of the Indian Copyright Act, 1957.
• Sachin to become part of the UN Campaign Highlighting Role of Father’s in Child’s Development. The Super Dads initiative is a part of a larger campaign called #EarlyMomentsMatter, which aims to bring awareness to the significance of early childhood experiences on a child's future.
• Sher Bahadur Deuba, Veteran Nepalese politician, Congress leader was elected as Nepal’s 40th prime minister for the fourth time after the main opposition party decided to end the obstruction of parliament.
• On World Environment Day, India’s biodiversity riches increase by 499 specie. 313 species of animal and 186 of plants have been discovered from various areas of the country last year.
• Telangana government has become the first in the country to launch pension scheme for single and divorced women.